BONANZA is a state of mind. Think BIG in IDEA and/or SIZE. It’s celebrating the end of a school year. Think of it as an ART EXTRAVAGANZA!
Think of it as a “Create-your-Own-Final Project”.
You can approach it many different ways…Here are just a few:
1) Make a piece that is related to your “regular” art, just ENLARGE it! In SIZE or IDEA!
2) Make a piece where you try some new ideas/ media/technique- something that you have seen but haven’t been able to try yet…
3) Get an idea, and think about how to do it and then what to use…
4)Find out what materials you can get easily and cheaply, and then think about what subject matter fits that…
BE CREATIVE and BE ORIGINAL!!!!
***One partner is Okay, although the piece has to be twice as “Bonanzaish”. Your partner doesn’t have to be in the same period/grade level as you.
****HAVE FUN!!!! WORK HARD!!!!! HAVE FUN BY WORKING HARD!!!!!!
Before getting into specific possibilities, one last “state of mind” thing----
Whatever you do, try hard, use your brain, use your energy. Don’t be lazy. Make sketches, look at books, go to the library. It really is more fun to do a job that you’re proud of and feel good about yourself, than to let yourself and the rest of us down. The Bonanza project is set up so that EVERYONE can SUCCEED if they try.
A bunch of traditional Bonanza ideas and names of artists who can inspire you, excite you and in general, turn your world upside down…all mixed up in a montage of never before seen footage (at least for your eyes…)
Big Head Sculpture Wrestling…Site-Specific work (500 Bright Yellow Rabbit shapes strewn on the roof of the Freshmen wing to be viewed from the art room)…Pop Art…Warhol, Lichtenstein, Indiana, Marisol, Oldenburg, Stella…A Big serious cartoon panel…Soft Stuffed sculpture…Another Halloween mask… Build a body for your Halloween Mask… Flying Sculpture… Banners… Make and print up a comic book…Minimal painting or sculpture…Assembled Sculpture…Nevelson, Chamberlain, Moore, Kleinholz…Tableau…Make a room/ Environment that people have to enter, crawl through, climb into…Face and Body Painting…Design Clothing…Combining painting and sculpture…Life-size Self Portrait…Stencils and Spray paint…Design ‘Wallpaper’ and paper a wall in the gym or the hallway…Electric Stuff (Robots, Something that moves, talks, walks…)…Light Boxes…Food Art…A Performance Piece… Graffiti Art… Electric instruments- a Wall of Feedback…Design a Fountain…Art about the World at Large or your specific world of Art (Your class, your art box, your work, etc.)…Make a movie, video or experimental multi-media audio-visual presentation…Something Real Big to be displayed outside that lets everyone know we have an art show going on…Your “regular” kind of art, only ENLARGED… Recycling materials…A Realistic painting done on an UNUSUAL SURFACE …Design and Display Buttons or Jewelry…Art that says “This is what’s happening in my world in the Spring of 2018”…OP Art…Abstract Expressionism…Picasso, Dine, Pollock, Kline, DeKooning, Giacometti,…Art inspired by dreams, music, movies, characters in books, food… Red Grooms, Calder, DuBuffet, Johns, Seurat, Shahn, Toulousse-Latrec…Redesign the American Flag….Design your own flag for your invented country, Design stamps and Money…Copy 1000 little business card sized messages and pass them out…Super-Realism…Surrealism…A Psychedelic Light show… Mobiles… Kites…paint a Billboard (only with authorized permission, of course)…Plaster-Casting…Totem Poles…Wood Carving…Welded Metal sculpture…Fiber Art… Art that Makes fun of bad art (How do you let the viewer know that’s really what you’re trying to do instead of having them think you really don’t know what you’re doing??)…Bob Ross art…Art that gets thrown out a third floor window…Big Products, Design your own, using your own likeness or name…Paint your car…Howard Finster…Folk Art…Religious art…A Really Big Linoleum Block Print…A Huge Plaster cast of Mr.Ruffing…Social Commentary…A series of Posters all over the show…Graphic Design…Giant CD Case…Toy or Furniture Design…Invent a Board Game…Pinball Machine Art…A new inventive tool that creates art…A giant art box that is spilled out on the floor of the wrestling gym or down the front steps…Create new ads for Beats…Repetition…Painting on Furniture…Wayne White…Art that somehow shows Physics or Chemistry…www.thisiscolossal.com…And on and on and on and on….
SOME IMPORTANT DATES TO KNOW…
1) MONDAY, MARCH 19th- Have your sketches ready for the Bonanza, so that we can look over the boundless array of fascinating ideas… 39 days until BONANZA DAY! (You may show me your sketch ANY TIME before this date) That looks like a lot of time, but it really isn’t. You need to remember to use your time wisely. There will be a number of Open Studios over the next 2 months to allow you time to work in the Art Room.
2) THURSDAY, MARCH 29th-WEDNESDAY,APRIL 4th -Hopefully-if you raise $70,000…- Wonderful opportunity to work on your Bonanza project and eat jelly beans. Only 29 days until BONANZA DAY!
3) TUESDAY, APRIL 17th-Day of Service for Mr. Klusman. 10 days until Bonanza Day.
4) WEDNESDAY, April 25th- PRE-BONANZA NIGHT- If it is easier to drop off your Bonanza the night before, the gym will be open from 6-8 pm.
5) THURSDAY, APRIL 26th- BONANZA DAY—This is the day that all the Bonanza pieces are brought in, excluding pieces too big to fit inside…It’s like Christmas Day in the Art Room!!! (If you’re absent or do not have it on THIS day your exam grade will suffer IMMENSELY- 10 points for every day it is late! **The only Bonanzas not coming in April 26th are pieces that won’t fit into the school. These are displayed on the day of the Art Show –They are to be set up by 12:30, and taken home by 4:30 that day. (Failure to do this impacts negatively on your exam grade)
6) SUNDAY, APRIL 29th - THE ART SHOW- 1-4 pm- Bring your mom, your dad, your family, your girlfriend, your neighbors’ kids, your hedgehog- make it a celebration of great art!
***If you are able, please take your Bonanza home right after the Art Show ends. The other option is to take it home either Monday (30th) or Tuesday (May 1st) either before or after school. It needs to be removed from Elder’s premises by after school on Tuesday. (Failure to do this impacts negatively on your grade) We have to have the gym empty by Tuesday so that the volleyball team can start playing again at Elder.
ANY questions AT ALL please email me, stop by the Art Room or ask me in class. DO NOT wait until it is too late. GOOD LUCK to you all!!!