1) Everyone gets a poem with three, or possibly four, artists’ names.
2) Pick ONE artist from the ones suggested… (If you have a particular artist that you want to work with and they are not mentioned on your sheet or none of the artists appeal to you, let me know. I’m always open to other creative suggestions.
**IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER POEM IN MIND OR WOULD LIKE TO FIND ONE THAT WOULD INTEREST YOU MORE (possibly your own), YOU WILL NEED TO SHOW ME A COPY OF IT BY TUESDAY, NOV. 28th IN CASE WE NEED TO COME UP WITH SOME DIFFERENT ARTISTS THAT YOU COULD CHOOSE FROM.
3) Do a little research between now and WEDNESDAY, NOV. 29th to decide which artist you would like to find inspiration from that would illustrate your poem best. Look at the way they paint, draw, collage, the colors they use, the techniques that they work with, subject matter, etc.
4) ONCE YOU HAVE DECIDED UPON AN ARTIST THAT YOU WANT TO WORK WITH…You’ll need to do some more research on that artist (It would be a good idea to write it down/create a word document/put it in your sketchbook because it will only help you create your piece):
1) Any art movement/style they were/are involved with
2) Colors used in their palette (that is, colors they generally used in their pieces)
3) Techniques they used to apply paint/pencil/etc. to the surface
4) ONE INTERESTING piece of biographical information
5) WHAT is it that you like about the artist you are looking at? WHY did you choose them? WHAT is the inspiration that you find from them?
5) You have until FRIDAY, DEC. 1st to do initial research and to decide if that is the poem and the artist you want to use. If before that date, you decide you cannot relate to the style, technique, subject matter, poem, etc. you may trade in your poem and artists for another selection. I would encourage you to know well before that date so you have enough time to give to your composition. Remember this composition is meant to SHOWCASE what you know…
6) YOUR CHALLENGE is to create an accompanying composition to reflect the mood, words, or imagery of the poem that you picked. Think of these words when you sketch out your idea: fuse, join, comingle, collaborate
7)The MEDIA for the composition is your choice. Think about a media that would work BEST for whatever inspiration you are getting from your artist. If they work in watercolors, but you don’t have any experience with watercolors then is there another medium that would get the same affect but you feel more comfortable with?
8) The SIZE for the composition is also your choice, however, it should not be smaller than 9” x 12”. Again, please choose the appropriate size and shape that would BEST fit whatever inspiration you are getting from your artist. Your composition does not need to be rectangular.
9) I will meet with all of you individually after Thanksgiving to look at your sketch for the composition and go over any questions about media, size, or artist. I will let you know in advance when your time will be. You do not need to wait to talk to me. I would be glad to meet with you whenever you are ready.
10) Your finished composition will need to be matted (if appropriate for your piece) and presented in a finished manner for the deadline.
9) Your finished Semester Project and CONCENTRATION PIECE will be DUE THURSDAY, DECEMBER 21st at the beginning of 1st period.